Lens knows you like to play with your front page (the main page of your site). That is why you have the flexibility of bringing your projects, galleries or parts of them, center stage.
The customization settings can be found in WordPress Dashboard, under Appearance → Customize, but first, let’s go through the following steps:
Step 1 — Create a “Home” page
From your site WordPress Dashboard, click on Add a new page and name it “Home” or alike in order to easily remember it.
Step 2 — Set the “Custom Home Page” template
Set the Custom Home Page template by reaching the Page Attributes section. This will allow you to display your homepage like a Gallery, a Project, Portfolio Archive, Portfolio Category, Galleries Archive or Galleries Category.
Step 3 — Set the Content Source
Once you are done with the second step, you enable a new section named Choose your home page which allows selecting the home page content sources:
- The Portfolio Archive will put on your homepage the latest projects in your portfolio with pagination, AJAX loading on scroll (infinite scrolling) and/or filtering by category depending on what options have you chosen.
- The Portfolio Category option is similar to the Portfolio Archive, but will only display the latest projects from a certain portfolio category, chosen from the dropdown. This will also be affected by whether or not you have infinite scrolling activated (filtering will not be displayed since we have nothing to filter).
- The Project option means you will only show a specific single project (previously created). Once you choose this option you will see a dropdown with all of your current projects to choose from.
- The Galleries Archive option is just like the Portfolio Archive only that it will display your galleries.
- The Galleries Category option is similar to Portfolio Category.
- Choose the Gallery option if you wish to use a single gallery as your homepage.
A useful feature is the ability to Exclude certain projects or galleries from the archives. This was intended to complement the use of a single project or gallery as your homepage. This also comes in handy when you want to showcase a certain project or gallery separately in your menu.
Step 4 — Set a Static Front Page
To finish this up, let’s put the above‐created page on front page. By default, WordPress displays the latest posts there — to change that and show your new “Home” page, follow the standard method:
- Launch the site Customizer and click on the Static Front Page tab on the left.
- Select the Static Page option, then choose your new page from the Front Page drop‐down.
- Click on the Save & Publish button to save your static page settings.