Having a website without Google Analytics on it is like having a laptop without connecting to the Internet. If you want to go far, you need to gather relevant insights about your visitors. This way you’re taking well-informed decisions that will bring you concrete results.
From specific facts (such as demographics) until in-depth data regarding time spent on a particular page or the flow of conversions, Google Analytics can provide you with all this information.
Step 1 — How to start?
There are several plugins which can help you link this tool to your website, but our recommendation is the free version of the MonsterInsights plugin. This suggestion comes on an unbiased foundation, and it is based only on the fact that we tested and we’re happy with how the thing worked out.
- Log in into your Dashboard, go to Plugins and click on Add new
- Type the name of the plugin (Monster Insights) directly in the search box from the top right corner
- Once you found it click on Install Now, and then on Activate
On the side menu of your Dashboard (under Settings) you now have a button named Insights. To properly set up the plugin you need to authenticate with Google Analytics.
Step 2 — How to connect to Google Analytics?
This article explains the step-by-step process of installing and activating MonsterInsights on your WordPress website. It comes with a dedicated video and a bunch of screenshots to make sure you make a consistent setup and start with the right foot.
Other resources you should consider in order to make the most out of Google Analytics:
- WPBeginner—How to install Google Analytics in WordPress
- WPMuDev—A Comprehensive Guide to Google Analytics and Understanding Your WordPress Site Traffic