How templates work
Setting up the Front Page template
Now that we described what a template is and how it can be used, let’s start setting it up. Please follow these steps:
Step 1 — Create the page
From your WordPress Dashboard, click on Pages → Add New and name it “Home” or alike.
Step 2 — Set the”Front Page” template
From the right settings bar, select the Page option and, from the Page Attributes section, set the template to “Front Page.”
Step 3 — Set a static Front Page
To finish this up, let’s put the above-created page on the front page. By default, WordPress displays the latest posts there, but you can change that and show your new “Home” page by following the instructions below:
- From your WordPress Dashboard, go to Appearance → Customize, and click on the Homepage Settings tab.
- Select the “A static page” option, then choose your new page from the Homepage drop-down.
- Click on the Publish button to save your settings.
Step 4 — Add the widgets
Now it’s time to add some widgets to the homepage:
- From your WordPress Dashboard, go to Appearance → Customize.
- In the menu that appeared on the left, go to the Widgets section.
- Choose any area you would like to add widgets to.
- While editing an area, click on the “Add a Widget” button. From the menu that will appear on the right, select any widget that you would like to add and start customizing it.